Party Wall Notices & Awards

If an adjoining property owner intends to carry out work, which falls under the scope of the Party Wall etc. Act 1996, an appropriate Party Wall Notice may have to be served.

Relevant building works may include the following:

  • Various work that is going to be carried out directly to a party wall
  • Excavation within 3 or 6 metres to a neighbouring building
  • Construction of a new wall at the boundary of two properties

The Party Wall etc. Act provides a framework for preventing and resolving disputes before any work is undertaken. It is designed to note the condition of the neighbouring property and set out solutions for resolving any damage to the neighbouring property as a result of the works being undertaken.

Our Chartered Building Surveyors can act for both owners, as a jointly instructed Party Wall Surveyor, or we can act for a single owner; and work with the neighbouring owner’s surveyor to agree a Party Wall Award that is agreeable to both sides. The surveyor’s fees are normally paid for by the owner of the building where works are being undertaken.